Monday, November 03, 2003

Prince Felipe & Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano appear before the press for the first time

The couple's first public appearance together was on November 3rd, 2003, Queen Sofia's birthday.

They gave a quick interview to a lot of journalists at the garden of the Prince's house, next to the Zarzuela Palace.

Felipe: We wanted, once we made the official announcement of our engagement, to appear before you all and the Spanish population to thank you for the numerous samples of affection that we have received these two days and also to be together. I am very happy to be able to show how happy our engagement has made me and how in love I am with Letizia. For every couple, it is an important step to become engaged. I say to you with conviction that Letizia is the woman with whom I want to share my life and to form a family and in addition, as to the Crown, I have the security of knowing that Letizia unites all the qualities and capacities necessary to assume the responsibilities and functions as Princess of Asturias and as future Queen of Spain. Our coming together allows us to give continuity to the parliamentary monarchy as it consecrates our Constitution. But above else, We present ourselves here in love, committed, with conviction and full of hope and, of course, devoted to serving Spain and the Spaniards. Thanks.



Letizia: I understand the surprise that this decision caused nearly everyone, but it is a mature decision, the fruit of very intense reflections and covered with the weight and the sureness of the deep love that we have ourselves and of the course that we've undertaken together. From when I was very young I was always a journalist and until the 31 years that I am now, I have exerted my profession with desire, dreams, determination and in that same way I now confront what we started now, with responsibility, vision and hard work to serve Spain and the Spaniards.

(dialogue translation courtesy of nettyroyal.nl)

No comments: